Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tailgate - Closed.

Original:Thursday, October 09, 2008
Tailgate - closed.
I breathed on my monocle and cleaned it fervently with my monogramed handkerchief, a scarlet CWK embroidered in the white cotton. I re-adjusted my top hat and bow tie, and in preparation for greatness i sipped at the crystal tumbler holding three clear ice cubes, battling with all their might against the fire of the brownish liquid that attacked them from all angles.
The discussion : Tailgating.
The PPtrain delivered the line that I could not combat...
"The event is never as great as the tailgate.." Touche, my friend.
The worst part of this discussion was that he was right. I remember our most famous tailgates, from Giants games, to Dave Matthews, to the Belmont Stakes. I can not attest to the Belmont Stakes because going in to the event all I can remember is Grey Goose, Grass, sweat, and pavement.
After further thinking about it, I have to tend to agree. The tailgate is the most exciting part of the event. As the PPTrain even said, " Its quite a letdown [once you enter the venue]"
You prepare yourself weeks before the tailgate. You think about the menu, the beverage selections, the type of appetizers, what type of entertainment, and you even run through the hookup options.
Menu Frozen Burgers/Hotdogs - boring..What you need are fresh sausages with a fresh italian bread, even homemade burgers make the cut.
Beverage There is nothing wrong with cold beer, or keg for the advanced players. Full Bar never hurts.
Entertainment Probably the best entertainment I was able to accomplish was when me and the fabulous Fabe tailgated at the Meadowlands for Dave Matthews. Devoid of a frisbee, football or any type of ball, we improvised and had a putting contest on the pavement. We were flocked with girls, most of them, though, had names like Dee Dee, and Dottie. A couple of the balls dissappeared.
Hook Up Options A girlfriend present is always nice, because its a sure shot of making out during "Dreaming Tree" or when Eli throws to Plex for a TD ( that celebration is reserved for Fabe).
But if you're stag, a friend is always nice. Not just any friend, but someone you think you have a shot with. If you dont have that option, making friends is always important. I like to wander to fellow female tailgaters offering them hot dogs, sausages, or money. Unfortunately you have to sniff out the underage gals, because some of them are out for college guys, ( or guys that were in college 6 years ago.)
Note: If you're a dude, triple kissing with another guy and girl is only ok if you are good friends with the guy and you declare "No homo" before the event ( or within 7 years after the event )
A great idea would be to rent out an old drive in and charge people 10 dollars to park and tailgate. Its everything without the things you dont need - expensive drinks, stuck up girls, class, - but most importantly, the letdown of the end of the game, or that concert that could have sucked.
In the end, you'll always get me selling tie die shirts, or hats at a modest markup. I cant promise I wont eat all the pretzels.
ck Palmer.

No comments: