Thursday, October 23, 2008

Barber Shop Blog 1

Original:Wednesday, December 14, 2005
I have 2 friends but Tom doesnt count
My worth has doubled in the past day. 2 friends.
Ive had some bad luck with barbers the past few years. I actually remember my first barber. He was an old Italian gentleman who I think all the boys went to for a haircut in the town i grew up in. I do remember he smoked alot and he used to tap me on the head alot when i wasnt in perfect position. I didnt understand a word he said, and he always seemed like he was doing me a favor by cutting my hair. I didnt care for him.
Years later when i started becoming a young gentleman, I somehow decided to start going to a "salon." I guess it was mainly because of my parents who went there, and especially because my dad always ended up getting a haircut that looked like he belonged in one of the photos they had around the joint. Will any barber shop or hair salon realize that those photos get old and no one wants to look like Zach Morris, or Kid from Kid n Play?
Either way she did a decent job, but around 12 years old I started getting worried about the geneological makeup of my hair. She answered my concern with, ' You have OK hair ' Super.
Her comrade at that place was her Greek husband who probably had no clue how to cut hair, but he always wore fantastic sweaters. He also had European jerry curl hair, resembling what a white Daryll would look like.( aka Eriq La Salle in Coming to America ) He also was a neat freak who would sweep up hair every 3-4 minutes. He was great at saying hello and goodbye, you could tell he really meant it.
I returned to my roots years later when I migrated across the street to older Greek Gentlemen, on a tip from my friend Fabian ( fabe71 ). His name was Christos, and he was from a small island in Greece. He spoke English very well, but I started to become suspicious of his extent of the language, as we spoke about the weather every visit. January or June " Dis weather isa very chooooold." Shrugging his shoulders and ahaking his head in disgust and disapproval. Id have to always agree.
He was a splendid barber who always did a fantastic job of making me feel like I had no worries about losing my hair ever. "You dhoont have to worry, all hyou need is health." Sometimes he would say this without me making a comment about it. yech.....
He still did a great job and would always end the experience with showing me the back and sides of my head with a handheld mirror that would reflect into the big mirror facing me. I would always respond with 'very nice, thank you, or good job' He would quickly look to his right or left, give a short sniffle, and then look back towards me shut his eyes and say 'thank you, thank you.' He was great.
Now i go to Russians, and they all are nice guys. The last guy though, asked me almost embarassingly, " What, uh, should I do with, uh,.....the top....???"
I bought a new hat.

ck

No comments: