Thursday, October 23, 2008

Show Me How its Done Sir


Original:Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Show me how its done sir.
I am really missing ABC's TGIF lineup from the early 90's. Perhaps some of the greatest shows of our generation have been showcased on that network. Long before you could find 10 year old's standing on streetcorners, smoking marajuana cigarettes, they used to be at home, sitting with their grandparents watching TGIF. Like me, a good boy.
I used to get all excited to see who was the host for this week's TGIF, since one show's cast would host for the whole evening. It even had a theme song "Its Friday Night, and the mood is right, Gonna have some fun, show you how its done, T-G-I-F"
Show me how it's done sir.
Perfect Strangers was by far the greatest show ever to have been in the 'TGIF' lineup. They went up against heavy hitters like "Growing Pains", "Who's the Boss" and "Full House" but in my book - P S, was the best of all.
Sometimes you have those days when you are forced to grow up and you have to come to grips with reality. That day was when I find out the difference between Season Finale, and Series Finale. There were tears shed that friday night, upstate, on a fishing vacation with my grandparents. They said it was the Series Finale of Perfect Strangers and I had to ask how that was different from Season Finale.
I cried. Hard.
I remember the show, "Just the Ten of Us" and how the main character's head looked like a basketball, and that reminded me of how he was a basketball coach, even when he started out on "Growing Pains."
http://www.delafont.com/comedians/Bill-Kirchenbauer.htm
He also had the annoying voice, and wore sweatpants with the whistle. I think I also used to have that basketball reference in my mind, because he had one of those round stomachs. Almost like somebody who pulled sweatpants up to their chest and then placed a round ball, like a basketball, over the stomach area.
There were many shows that made it into the TGIF lineup, but some of them never stuck like our favorites. It's amazing how Perfect Strangers never made it onto DVD. You can even research these shows on the internet, and find out what their status is. Apparantly you can put yourself on an email alert list for when, if ever, Perfect Strangers comes out on DVD.
I gave "Step by Step" a fair shot, because I liked Cody. Cody used to live in a van in the driveway and was into the daughter Dana. I later found out, that he beat his wife in real life. That fact stuck with me, and how my neighbor mike told me about that all excited for some reason.
"Mr Belvedere" was great, and I wished I could have coupled Bob Ueker's "Major League" charachter with his on the show. I always wanted to hear what it would be like to hear Mr. Belvedere curse.
I miss those days alot, and watching those shows and others, like " Golden Girls" with my grandmother when I used to sleep over their house on the weekends.
But I was never allowed to watch Family Matters.


Perfect Strangers Theme Song Lyrics "Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now"
Sometimes the world looks perfect Nothin' to rearrange Sometimes you just Get a feelin' like you need some kind of change Standin' tall On the wings of my dream Rise and fall On the wings of my dream Rain and thunder, the wind and haze I'm bound for better days It's my life It's my dream Nothin's gonna stop me nowOn the wings of my dream Rain and thunder, the wind and haze I'm bound for better days It's my life It's my dream Nothin's gonna stop me now

CK

No comments: