Thursday, October 23, 2008

Remember the Ellen DeGeneres Show

Original:Monday, February 20, 2006
remember the ellen degeneres show
Im starting this blog off with a joke that I heard on the old Ellen Degeneres Show, and when I heard it I remembered thinking that it was something I could dont too.
They were talking about eating and gaining weight - perhaps losing weight. She said " why can't I just wear baggy clothes." I remember sitting there with my bowl of melted cheese and extra crispy bacon strips and dunked away with satisfaction that Ellen was awesome and right.
The other day at the gym I decided that I should be more popular. So I started saying hi to people all over the place, sometimes substituting the audible "hi" with a quick head nod, or sometimes the more quizzical eyebrow raise, which really doesn't lock me into a relationship as much as the head raise acknowlegement.
I think that the quizzical eyebrow raise works alot more to my advantage, and it is much less effort. All I have to do is pretend to look shocked, raide the eyebrows, and perhaps a quick shoulder shrug.
Its hard to react when someone says something and you dont know what they said or what to say back. In actuality you may not even care. The quizzical eyebrow raise could save you in the situation as well. If someone is asking you a question, it will work. If someone made a joke it also works as a reaction.
When you just dont know what the hell they said, my favorite move is the "shake your head-sigh-and chuckle in disbelief" move. So if you cant understand what they said it will work in many situations. The person could have said something serious, asked a question, or made a joke. Here are some examples.
You hear, "the trees when they just will (sigh)" In reality, :"It seems she died"
"shake your head-sigh-and chuckle in disbelief" move will work
make sure the chuckle is never too loud or embellished, but instead like if you would react if you were old and your old friend was talking about vandals spraypainting. ( add a "get out of here" hand gesture)
You hear," Plinging down and down with the trains" In reality,"I think im coming down with that strain"
"shake your head-sigh-and chuckle in disbelief" move will work
You hear " That devil has blue hair." In reality, " How long have you been working there?"
"shake your head-sigh-and chuckle in disbelief" move will work
They could easily take it as you are disgusted by your job and you really don't want to talk about it. If you're lucky they will come up with a follow up qurestion, and you'll figure out what the original statement was.
I know you could just ask the person to repeat whatever they said, but this works much better if you don't have the energy or simply just don't care. It usually works the best with a joke, especially when someone like your barber makes one and you can't understand through the accent.
ck

No comments: