Thursday, October 23, 2008

Strength and Honor

Original:Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Strength and Honor
I excitedly looked through the HBO channels to find just about nothing on. I was hoping to order the on-demand feature through the remote, but I think my roomate shut that ability off with the company on the phone. I had a little bit of a problem earlier last month, and lets just say the "Naked News" was on demand for the whole month of September.
Last night we were blessed with the movie Gladiator. Even though most of the movies on HBO we have on DVD, it still gets exciting when you see a good movie on, or coming on in the future. The worst is when you see in an hour that something like "Billy Madison" is coming on and you make plans to watch it, even though its in the DVD case in sight from where you are sitting.
"Oooh honey, Billy Madison is on at 5. We'll start dinner now so we can watch it while eating!" Thinking to yourself, " Im so excited!!!! I love that movie!!!! "
Well I have the opportunity to watch 'Gladiator' at any time, but when its on TV I dont have to go about taking it out of the case, putting it in the player, etc etc. After watching the movie, and realizing that I had the movie all along, I also realized something else that made me feel like such a weirdo.
As normal, I was enjoying my " Its-noon-somewhere "cocktail so I was extra amped up for the film. My 'sauciness' also led me to make out-loud comments during the movie while sitting alone on the couch.
-Scene where Marcus Aurelius asks for Maximus to take over his power after he dies and bring Rome back to a Republic-
"I will empower you to one end alone-- to give power back to the people of Rome..and end the corruptionthat has crippled it. Will you accept this great honor that I have offered you?""With all my heart, no." "Maximus... that is why it must be you."
I am pretending now that I am a servant in the background making some wine or fooling around with spices or a broom and think to myself, " So wise...." as I say this aloud on my couch with a shake of the head.
The next scene Maximus goes outside to think about taking the honor that Marcus has offered. This is where Marcus' daughter enters. In the movie you get the feeling that she wants him, or has had Maximus, and she flirts with him in this scene.
"What did my father want with you? " "To wish me well before I leave for home." "You're lying.I could always tell when you were lyingbecause you were never any good at it." (Sittng legs crossed with my wine I say "Mmm she wants to see how Maximus he is" with a sassy little shake of my neck from side to side. I chuckled - this is where I realized I have been talking to myself.) " I never acquired your comfort with it." - " True.But then you never had to.:"
I let out a soft "Mmmmmmm" under my breath.
I need to get some friends.
ck Charlotte.

No comments: