Thursday, November 13, 2008

11-13/Sweating to the Oldies

As I sat in the first row of forward facing seats, I clutched my gym bag, shifting nervously. I was perpendicular to the sideways facing seats, occupied by two girls, en route to the same high school as me.

The mere fact that they were Cs, created a glisten on my brow, as I didn't want them to catch me staring at their legs as they probably assumed I would be. The C-ness was strong in these two, marked by their arrogant tone as they told each other stories of being Cs.

Hoping I would catch a story about them doing X-rated things to either Zach or Slater in the bathroom of the Max, I heard them start talking about B.O. This was strange, I thought, as a couple of Cs like this would probably have no interest in talking about something as foul as body odor.

Then their tone got louder. They started proclamating about the importance of showering in the morning. It hit me. They were using their C powers to make fun of me, thinking that I smelled. I may not have been "fit" or "likeable" but damn it, I certainly never smelled bad. I wanted to tell these Cs this, but I had no backup, and it bothered me.

Nothing smelled on me, not even the gym bag. I was going to, though, have to take the C-bashing I was getting, and like it. I finally got to school, then put a whole bagel in my mouth for 5 dollars.

I did hate gym day though. I am a "sweater," but I don't mind it as long as I am in the right attire for it. After school, no problem. Third period, problem. As much of a health nut as I was, I wish someone would have told me in nutrition class, that a cold Pepsi is not really a remedy for thirst.

Going to high school, I was always concerned about showering after gym class. I was even going to choose my high school based on whether or not the school forced you to shower after. I guess I was watching "The Wonder Years" too much, and assumed that showering after gym was a way of life. Thankfully, that was not the case, so instead I could just sit and learn about the Moors and algebra in a steam of my own sweat.

I was always freaked out about the showers. I could see them in the corner of the locker room taunting me.

"Get nude and shower with other boys," I could hear them whisper; the nozzles oddly shaped like male genitalia.

Running away I would think, "No. Thank you. I have powder and deodorant."

ck. I hope you eat that whole plate of cheese.

No comments: