Wednesday, January 14, 2009

01-14/Murray's Husky

It's with great regret to inform everyone that Old Navy's future is in peril. I have no idea what I'm going to do if they go under. Whether its boxers, cargo pants, plaid shirts, or jeans, I'll have no where to shop.

I didn't always choose O.N. as my primary apparel supplier. I would always check in with the classy joints, but they always seemed to not serve "my kind." When the GAP first arrived on scene, I thought that I was in nerdy preppy guy heaven. The khakis, the shirts, the jacket of the year - it was all so exciting.

The first time I perused some of the merchandise at the GAP, I was sadly disappointed. The pants sizes were in the 32-34 range, and even the 36s were way on the back of the shelves - or even the top shelf,only accessible by ladder. The GAP was where I started my line of, "Are there more in the back?"

I confided in one of my favorite females from the days of high school. She was the one that suggested to me asking about more in the back. As great of an idea this was, it was always met with a hearty "No" accompanied by a look that said, 'You belong at the Big and Tall.'

Whenever the ladder was brought out, it only announced to everyone that this guy is a plus size and needs to get his fancy pants to try to be like the normal people.

This reminds me of the day I went to "Murray's" clothing store on Northern Blvd with my dad. He was genuinely rooting for me to be cool, maybe even kiss a girl. It was 6th grade and I was invited to a party that the whole class was attending. Murray's was known to our family as the store to get my school uniform because they had the "husky" sizes. I enjoyed this label, because it hinted at some type of stealthy pride, not what it would indicate if the pant sizes were labeled 36 "wide" or 36 "expansive."

We went downstairs, where the boys' husky sizes were located. When descending those steps it almost reminded me of going to a secret club, or the back room with the saloon doors at the video store. (80s were great)

There, we purchased a black hooded sweatshirt that read "HUGO BOSS" on it. I learned that this was a fashionable brand out of Europe, and reminded me of travelling. I later discovered that it was the same one that Rocky wore in Rocky IV when Apollo died, except in black.

Along with it, we purchased my first pair of not-black jeans. I'm not certain I impressed the girl I had liked, but I felt good nonetheless. After all, the sweatshirt was roomy, and didn't show any unsightly bulges in my torso that my body was manufacturing at this time.

It may have worked, since I was later invited to her house for a birthday party. Any functionality I had ceased when I showed up with my Pete Mitchell hair parted on the side, dress pants and flowers. The crowd was definitely not familiar, and I believe I had embarrassed myself. This was the inception of the term I used in unfamiliar territory called, "The Angry Faces."

Old Navy had my sizes. It was my go to store for pants that fit, and I never had to ask for anyone to check in the back. The XXL sweaters were as far as the eye could see. The only thing I ever fit into at Abercrombie and Fitch was a hat that wasn't fitted.

Stay with us boys, I need you. Polo shirt season is coming up.

ck

No comments: