Thursday, May 28, 2009

05-28/Hi Daddy

My father got a kick out of the digs that people in right field gave Adam Dunn last Tuesday. We sat 4 rows up from the field, as a gift for mother's day. My sister and mother, sitting quietly next to my father and I, giggled quietly at comments like,

"Hey Dunn, you should have had that" (ball not in the vicinity of him)
"Hey Dunn, you want a pretzel since you're not in the game"
"Hey Dunn stop scratching your nuts" (for some reason my dad enjoyed this one the most)

My father eventually wanted to get into the fun, and asked me what would be a good thing to say. Thinking that he would never do it, I suggested that he say something about Dunn's wife. Furthermore, I told him that it was ok, and part of our "pastime."

Then as if in slow motion, I saw out of my left periphery, his hands cup up to his mouth. Frame by frame it got closer to his mouth, and once they met his face I heard....

"HEY DUNN......"

"YOUR WIFE SLEEPS WITH THE MILKMAN"

I said. " Milkman dad?"

"Mailman, Milkman, what did I say?"

My mother, shocked, embarrassed, but also laughing, said, "Mark!"

Dad replied with.

"What? It's our national pastime."

ck

No comments: