Thursday, June 18, 2009

06-18/A Day at the Races, Pt.3

Blue Goose was puttering along the outside, his hard plastic wheels crinkling along the gravel. The footsteps behind us were getting quicker, the pace becoming faster. The group was gaining on me, and the sweat was dripping more than usual.

I pulled him down the homestretch, my pace in danger of almost being called a jog. The finish line was in site.

Then it pulled away.

"Fabe!!!" I yelled, as the car pulled away from me like a joke in a movie.

The red brake lights illuminated, personified as a human face that just raised it's eyebrows, exclaiming, "OH!"

We loaded the Pilot up, storing the excess cargo in any hold that would allow it. It must of been tight because there was no room for Paps' shirt. We bolted out of there with a half of a tank of gas, and dreams. One of them being said shirt would magically reappear.

The beats in the car were pumping, from Lady Gaga to Sean Paul, and I think even Shaggy. The car was like a party bus, complete with male stripper. It reminded me of the scene in Zoolander, when all the models were driving in the car to get gas, then getting rambuncious and spraying it all over each other.

That came to a screeching halt as we pulled onto Bell Blvd. Blanche and her young date (16 November 1985 (Season 1, Episode 9) waved to us and invited us to dinner as we pulled into the parking spot. A quick decision resulted with us leaving Bell Blvd, and proceeding to the Astoria Beergarden.

Landing a great spot in the "Gyro" of Queens, we paraded into the Garden. Like a movie with bad editing showing a magic trick, Paps turned around. Then a second later was facing us with a pitcher of beer.

I tried the same trick, but I was left with no wallet and my fly was open. I was about to be redeemed.

"Hey Chris!"

I looked but didn't see anyone. Maybe a vampire was calling me and I was looking into a mirror.

"Chris!"

I looked over and found that it was a girl calling me. Very drunk and now wondering what I'm going to do, I said....(drumroll)

"Hi."

Then came the line.

"You're Paps' friend, aren't you?"

Then Alfalfa walked by with a slide whistle. http://blog.bernardgomez.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/alfalfa.jpeg

And just like that Paps appeared, just like Tony Wonder. I, though, decided to continue with my own illusion called, 'Going down in flames for over 4 hours,' and drank some more. We settled in to a table, saw a few more friends and talked about the good times.

The camera pulled back from the table and rose higher and higher, filming us from the tops of the trees. I put my arm around Maks, put his hat on my head, Fabe kissed Steph, and Paps was barely in the frame talking closely to a lovely girl in the corner.

One of us pointed to him, and I high fived Fabe. Then we all toasted to a wonderful summer.

Then the camera hit a tree branch and it hit me in the head.

ck

No comments: