Monday, June 15, 2009

06-15/A Day at the Races, Pt. 2

Walking towards the Backyard area, a Nautica spokesman apparently knew who I was, since he was yelling for my attention. Expecting to be solicited with perfume or sunglasses, it turned out to be Paps and 3 good looking girls. Shocking.

Walking together, as if we had just gotten off an international flight and met up at the arrivals hall, Fabe started to tell the story of how we almost didn't get through with the alcohol. After I got yelled at for trying to tell the story, Paps slipped his arm back into Fabe's and they walked, hearing the tales of his bravery.

We found a nice spot around a tented pole, with 4 flat screen TV's hanging from it. After some rearranging of benches, we had our own little world, complete with carrot sticks and salsa. Now it was time to bet.

I bet that I would be doing something stupid at some point, and that I would drink alot.

Then I went to make some bets on the races. I came up empty in all of them by the way, except - of course - for the drinking and doing something stupid. I did have my third horse show up in 4th place, almost hitting the trifecta.

Maks was dressed like he was lost in the 50's, still with a solid appearance in the crew. He gave me his hat. Solid. He wore dress socks with shorts - one sock stretched higher than the other.

The Goose went through like water, ironically in a Poland Spring bottle.

Remembering earlier about how the guy said made me feel like they were protecting people from drinking too much, they weren't protecting people's wallets. A 22 ounce Coors will cost you 7 on this day, and you can infer the rest after this conversation.....

Me : " Hi, what's the most you can get at one time?"
Lady : " As many as you want. " (said somewhat with a "duh" )
Me : " I'll take 4. "

The band was the highlight of the afternoon. I recall the band to be the highlight of last year too, as well as one of the few things that I remember happening at all.

The drummer to this year's band was "Steve," and I searched for information on the band's name but could not find it. After they started playing Zeppelin, I went to the stage and rocked out like I was in the 70's. More importantly, I rocked out pretending it was really Zep, and not a manager at Rite Aid, with his brother in law playing the keyboard. (likely)

Duschechill moment of the Year :
I was able to fist pound the lead guitar after "Over the Hills and Far Away," and yelled "Yeah, Steve!!" numerous times.

Some guy had to tell me twice that he saw them at the Garden in '73 and I told him that I'll never be able to do that in my life.

***I made sure that the lead saw me checking out his guitars. I tried to make facial expressions that would translate to, " I believe your guitars are acceptable, and I'm someone who would be able to say such a thing."

This was a steady nod, followed by a series a short quick ones with my lips turned in and eyes raised.

I would then hope to get an invite to the stage, but didn't have any idea what I would do from there. I don't think that "Grey Street" was in their set-list. 'Hey guys, this is Chris....'

Maks and I ended up walking looking for Paps and the girls. Looking back on the day I wish I would have said, "Spalding, get your foot off the boat," to him at least once.

Man, did he look good. And I'll tell you why it matters....

in Part III.

ck

No comments: