Wednesday, February 3, 2010

02-03/The Life of a DB

While removing snow from my car this morning, a neighbor of mine was shoveling outside of his house. I diligently went about my way, and wasn't sure if I would have to engage in a conversation with him.

He is a nice guy, one of the people on the block that you have to wave to - and along with his wife, will stop the car and stare at you until you see them and wave - or stand on the porch before they will go inside until you see them and wave.

So I waited and stared, but he shoveled along. I went back to cleaning the car. I stared again, he kept on shoveling. I went back to cleaning the car. Then I figured I better just stare until he sees me. So I did.

"Hi, Chris," he said in his unexcited tone.
"Hey, there," I responded, still not knowing his name. I had filled in on a softball team that he played on quite a few times, and most notably I knew him for 15 years. Still I couldn't remember his name.

Apparently I had originally not looked forward to this confrontation, however I stood there looking for something to say. He made it clear that he was quite content with the interaction, but I seemed to want to say more.

I was about to say something about how I was looking forward to going to Florida tomorrow. "Yeah, this snow - can't wait to get out of it for a few days - hah huh hah huh...." was what I almost said. I stopped and realized that I was an old man (almost), and that also this was a classic DB statement.

What's the point of telling someone that is 90 percent probably not going to Florida tomorrow, that I was? You might as well say, "F8CK YOU, IM GOING TO FLORIDA!!" or something similar that Ashy Larry would say from The Chappelle Show.

I stopped and realized I was a DB for even thinking it, meanwhile it was just to make conversation. I guess we all do it a bit, but I think I may have been a DB in the past.

No longer friends, I'll stick to being a DB in other ways.

ck

No comments: